Friday, October 11, 2013

Deals for Shun Premier Chef's Knife,

Shun Premier Chef's Knife, 8-Inch




Best Product From Shun



A breath of fresh air.
A little background. I've cooked professionally for the vast majority of my adult life.. so roughly 20 years now. A bit of a late bloomer, I'm just now going to culinary school at the age of 36. That said, I've been around the block a couple times and I know a quality product when I see one.

This knife is a bad ass. You know that guy that seems cool, but has that weird look in his eye and you're fairly sure he could end you if he really wanted to? Yeah, that's this knife. Compared to the knives that are provided by the vast majority of restaurants, well its like putting Butter Bean versus Jon "Bones" Jones. I've put this knife through its paces and here are my observations. Take it as you will.

Pros:
(1)Beautiful. I get alot of "Ooohs" and "Aaahs" from people who haven't seen it before. "Oh my God" is a common phrase by people who hold it, and "Holy s*** I want one" is common by those who take a couple swipes with it.
(2)Sharp. Out of the box you can...

A must-have for anyone who loves to cook, this all-purpose chef's knife by Shun Premier comes in handy for a variety of food-prepping tasks. Use it to chop, slice, dice, and more--everything from carrots and potatoes for a savory stew, green peppers and onions for a homemade pizza to fruit for a summer salad. The knife features a large 8-inch blade with a slight curve that facilitates smooth rocking back and forth when cutting, and its large surface area allows for scooping and transporting ingredients from the cutting board. Durably constructed from layered Damascus steel, the knife's blade comes with a hand-hammered finish that not only adds intriguing visual appeal, but that also creates a hollow-ground surface, which reduces knife-drag ...

  • 8-Inch chef's knife; the perfect all-purpose knife for chopping and slicing both meats and vegetables
  • Features layered Damascus steel with a striking, hand-hammered finish (known as 'Tsuchime' in Japanese)
  • Hand-hammered finish reduces drag when cutting, keeping foods from sticking to the knife blade
  • Premium pakkawood handle nestles comfortably into the curves of the palm and allows for a variety of comfortable and secure grips
  • Dishwasher safe; hand washing and air drying recommended; limited lifetime warranty




So sharp its scary!
I am a pro chef at a large hotel in downtown Seattle. I use my knife for at least half of my day (3 to 4 hours), 5 days a week. I own both Japanese and German knives, all the best and most well known. I purchased a Shun classic 8 inch and was blown away at the quality and overall ballance of the knife. I decided to upgrade to the Premier...Wow, wow, wow!!! This knife is the best knife I have ever owned and I cant remember someone else I worked with having anything close to mine. Its like a scalpel or an exacto knife sharp...scary even for me and I do this stuff all day, Im trained. I must admit, I have cut myself twice already, because all the blade has to do is make contact with skin and it cuts...I know, im a wimp... Should you buy this? If your serious about culinary arts this knife is no joke. Not to mention, your gonna have a piece art on your cutting board, its a beautiful and worthy example of a real pro knife...I highly recomend. This knife should be kept far away from...
Great Knife - Once I got a good one!
I'll start by saying I love this knife and am an avid Shun user.

It took 3 tries, however, to get a knife that wasn't defective - hence the 4 stars! Not Amazon's fault - but the first knife sent to me had two deep scratches in the steel on the bolster. Not ok for a knife of this price! The second knife had a large chip in the handle and a crack in the blade. These things are not typical of Shun, and I hope they aren't typical of this series.

The blade on this thing is as sharp as they come, as with all Shuns. The 16 degree angle is much different from the German and American knives and very sharp! It makes cutting a breeze and this will surely become my new go-to knife in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to building up the whole set of this line over time.




More information on Shun Premier Chef's Knife, 8-Inch from Shun

No comments:

Post a Comment